High Knob Region Landmarks
High Knob Observation Tower (Photo: Brad Deel)
High Knob Region Attractions
- High Knob Observation Tower (Located in Wise County)
- Powell Valley Overlook (Located in Norton)
- Flag Rock Recreation Area (Located in Norton)
- High Knob Recreation Area (Located in Wise County)
- Bark Camp Recreation Area (Located in Scott County)
- Cave Springs Recreation Area (Located in Lee County)
- Clinch River State Park (Located in Wise County)
- Natural Tunnel State Park (Located in Scott County)
- Country Cabin II (Located in Norton)
- Trail of the Lonesome Pine State Outdoor Drama (Located in Big Stone Gap)
- Lays Hardware (Located in Coeburn)
- MountainRose Vineyard (Located in Wise)
- Ralph Stanley Museum (Located in Clintwood)
- Appalachia Cultural Arts Center (Located in Appalachia)
- Charles W. Harris Gallery (Located in Wise)
- Daniel Boone Wilderness Trail Interpretive Center (Located in Duffield)
- June Tolliver House (Located in Big Stone Gap)
- Carter Family Fold (Located in Scott County)
- Central Drive-In Movie Theater (Located in Wise County)
- Lee Theatre (Located in Pennington Gap)
- Park Avenue Theatre (Located in Norton)
- Pro-Art Association
- Norton Cannon (Located in Norton)
- Norton Historical Marker (Located in Norton)
- Harry W. Meador Jr. Coal Museum (Located in Big Stone Gap)
- John Fox Jr. Museum (Located in Big Stone Gap)
- Southwest Virginia Museum Historical State Park (Located in Big Stone Gap)
- Lonesome Pine School and Heritage Center (Located in Big Stone Gap)
Other Local and Regional Initiatives
- Check out our local Chamber of Commerce for more tourism opportunities in Wise County and Norton.
- Information about additional regional tourism opportunities can be found by visiting Heart of Appalachia. Be sure to watch the "Heart of Appalachia" music video and theme song.
- Heartwood, Southwest Virginia’s artisan gateway, is a world-class showcase destination for those who cherish traditional music, original crafts, and locally grown and prepared upscale cuisine. Located in picturesque Abingdon, Va., just off Interstate 81 at Exit 14, Heartwood is only about an hour's drive from downtown Norton.
Local/Regional Music Scene
- If you enjoy music, you will certainly enjoy Virginia’s Heritage Music Trail - The Crooked Road. The Crooked Road is a driving route through the Appalachian Mountains from the western slopes of the Blue Ridge to the Coalfields region of the state connecting major heritage music venues in our region. Wise County and Norton are home to one major venue on The Crooked Road, Country Cabin II in Norton, and several other affiliate venues. The Ralph Stanley Museum in neighboring Dickenson County is also a major venue along The Crooked Road. .
High Knob Regional Initiative
- The City of Norton is one of nine Southwest Virginia communities included in the High Knob Region. The region's footprint includes Norton and sections of Wise, Scott, and Lee counties. For more information on the High Knob Regional Initiative, visit this website and follow us on Facebook. Interested in getting involved in the High Knob Regional Initiative? Contact us at (276) 679-1160 or firstname.lastname@example.org.